Sunday, February 20, 2011

Superfluous Quandary

I was passing the local market. Sudden outbursts of hue and cry caught my attention. An everyday phenomenon, or so i thought. I was about to walk past when some crude swearing raised the inquisition of the average middle-class man in me.

I walked up to the crowd. An adolescent boy and girl stood amidst the judging eyes.

Perplexed.

Or rebellious?

Well, at least it was a sight better than the hogging and bargaining in that bazaar.

"Now what did they exactly do, kaka?", I wasn’t in for any sympathy or explanations. And I wasn’t disappointed.

'Can you believe the blatant indecency? They were... they were... I can't even say it! No respect for values and ideals! Uncouth. They don't realize they have the next generation watching them. Judging them.'

"Where were they found? Who found them? Did you see it?"

'The sacred relationship of a man and a woman! And look at them. Just look at them!! I dared not look at a girl before I got married! Bastard!' I chose to be a little delicate on the words.

And the crowd chipped in, they had something to hang on till noon.

I walked away.

The upholders of the society, nay traditions! Moral police.

Deep within the society spreads the worm, laying eggs of convenience.

Masked faces, shameless hypocrisy idealizing their own unchallenged norms.

Damn. And i thought there was a fight. A fight is always better. Nah?

I hate the sun. Useless delay.

The boy popped up. Cramped. Suffocated. Glances of repulsion and a helpless concern.

He needs someone to hold, a stick perhaps? They need a beating. Ha. That’ll do.

And me?

Ah! I need to go look for some good, fresh fish. And some grocery perhaps? Oh I so forgot the sweets!

My daughter-in-law would be here any moment!

1 comment:

  1. i didn't expect the post to end that way!
    so quietly does the ending seem to depict the triviality of such things in a 3rd person's life.

    ReplyDelete